3. 보도자료
  4. 보도자료

Start Terrestrial DMB

• 작성자
    홍보팀(홍보팀)
    작성일
    2006년 3월 30일(목) 00:00:00
  • 조회수

Korea introduced terrestrial digital multimedia broadcasting or T-DMB late last year.
Until now, the service was only available above ground.
Well this week, the subway line serving Incheon, west of Seoul, launched the T-DMB service, allowing commuters to catch their favorite TV and radio shows while on the move.
Kim Hyung-eun reports.

Yet another boundary is broken.
Incheon Subway launched a terrestrial digital multimedia broadcasting service for its passengers this week.
Terrestrial DMB was introduced here in December last year.
But this is the first time for the service to be offered on the underground.

"Around 180,000 people take Incheon subway every day. They will be able to enjoy the real-time broadcasting service on trains, platforms and in waiting areas 24 hours a day."

Commuters can surf around seven TV channels and 13 audio channels.
And those who tried it seem to see a lot of pros.

COMMUTER: "It`s such a new concept, watching TV on the subway using my phone. Also, the picture quality is as good as on my TV at home."

COMMUTER: "It`s not as big as a book or a newspaper, so I don`t have to worry about disturbing others around me. I think it`s a good way to enjoy commuting."

Terrestrial DMB broadcasters say they plan to expand the service to all subway lines in Korea for the summer, before the FIFA World Cup in Germany.
So, how did Incheon Subway come to be at the forefront of this initiative?

INCHEON RAPID TRANSIT CORPORATION OFFICIAL: "Incheon Subway is one of the newest subways in Korea, so it`s easier to install devices that relay signals underground."

Terrestrial DMB and satellite DMB are in fierce competition in Korea.
They both allow people on the move to enjoy TV and audio channels using DMB handsets.
Terrestrial DMB broadcasting has yet to catch up with its satellite rival, in terms of areas covered.
Satellite DMB is already available on all subway lines in Seoul and its vicinity.
However, the terrestrial DMB service is free of charge, unlike its satellite counterpart.
Terrestrial DMB service operators hope the latest addition to their service areas will help expand their market

Kim Hyung-eun, Arirang News.
MAR 29, 2006

목록

담당부서
미디어팀 032-451-2164

퀵메뉴